In this tutorial I will show you, how to use the cPanel Background Process Killer.
With the Background Process Killer, you can tell WHM to search every day for processes your users should have no reason to run in a standard web hosting environment.
How to use the background process killer in WHM?
- Background Process Killer is the best tool on WHM through which you can prevent users from running some processes unnecessarily.
- In order to perform this task, first you need to locate the System Health category.
- Then you need to click on the Background Process Killer. The scanner will find out these processes even if they are hidden by the users. Check all the programs and scroll down to enter text in the text area.
- Then you need to press Save and all the processes you have selected will be killed every night if detected.
If a process is found, the scanner will automatically kill the process and send you an e-mail telling you who was running it.
1) Locate the System Health category.
2) Click Background Process Killer.
WHM recommends that you check all of the programs in this list. Most of these relate to IRC, or Internet Relay Chat. IRC brings with it the stigma of causing lots of Denial of Service attacks, so most hosts explicitly disallow their users to run IRC servers on their networks.
This scanner will find these processes even if the user tries to hide them by renaming them.
3) We’ll do as they suggest and check off all the programs.
4) Using this textarea, you may enter a list of users that you want the process killer to ignore, one per line.
5) Press Save to finish.
Your selection has been saved. All the processes you chose will be killed every night, if detected.
Also, any users you entered have been marked as trusted.
That’s all.. You now know how to use the Background Process Killer in WHM.
Was this Tutorial helpful? Help others share on Facebook, Twitter, and Google Plus!